Just thought I’d check in with you before proceeding with more content. I’ve been exploring core management responsibilities using John Adair’s Action-Centred Leadership model as a guide.
We started with meeting task needs, achieving individual, group, and organizational objectives:
- Setting performance objectives
- Casting the right person in the job
- Delegating work
- Analyzing performance issues
- Giving/receiving feedback
We continued with meeting team needs, establishing team norms and managing group dynamics:
- Defining roles and setting expectations
- Understanding different personality styles
- Resolving interpersonal conflict
- Managing group conflict
In the weeks ahead, we’ll look at meeting individual needs, knowing what each person needs from you and the organization and meshing those needs with task and team requirements.
- Motivating people
- Empowering people
- Retaining good people
Stay tuned. The very big topic of motivation is next.
Until next time . . .